Friday, January 29, 2010

Ice Suncatcher!

I got the idea from a magazine, but you can find similar directions online. It was pretty simple, you fill ice trays with water, add food coloring to the cubes, and then freeze them. Once they are frozen, you fill up a pan or bowl with water, add the colored ice cubes; place something in the water so when you take it out, you leave a hole for ribbon or something to pull through (so you can hang it up). Then you hang it up outside when temps are crazy low (crazy low for us is in the teen's & twenty's). My kids however, went CRAZY with the food coloring (and I totally let them)! This in turn, caused the clear water (that went into the pan) to turn BROWN! haha. So it didn't turn out that way it should have, but that's okay. Logan said next time I should freeze clean water partially and then add the frozen ice cubes so the color from the cubes won't run as easily. He's so smart!

The kids will be hanging up their suncatcher tomorrow, so stay tuned!




I think Gavin thought we were going to eat them...


5 comments:

  1. I love this idea and love all the project you do with your kids. They must have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute idea! You are such a fun momma.

    Lemme guess, your ice cube trays are no longer white--- hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha... I almost posted a picture of what my sink looked like after dealing with all that food coloring dye... but it didn't stain anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watching children do projects, they always look so serious. Sounds like a fun art project!

    ReplyDelete