Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 59: My 'keyless' keys!


Okay, so there's one 'key' on there... but it's my house key. Neither of my car keys are actual keys! The key to the Prius (the rectangle one) is a "smart key"- so it has a chip in it that the Prius recognizes... as long as it's in the car with me I just have to push the "start" button. And the key to the van (the oval looking one) works just like a regular key; you slide the square part into the ignition and turn it just like you would any other key, only it doesn't look like a key.

6 comments:

  1. so...what happens if the battery dies on the car? how do you get in? i only ask because i got locked out once because the battery died and all i had was the remote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... my husband reminded that they do have keys! They are hidden inside those "keys". I'll have him take them apart, get the keys out, and then take a picture! But they are only there to get you in the car. Neither will actually start the car. Sometimes I think they've taken technology too far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work for a Dodge dealership and I had NO idea there was a key inside the fob...boy, did the salesmen ever laugh at me. Enjoy the new van!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i know...i had to make copies so i could get into my car, but i only have one key that starts my car. and since i'm really good and losing my keys, i have to keep that one key in my car...which i think is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would lose those so fast! As it is I only have 4 keys, but my keychain has to be HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would take some getting used to....especially starting a car by pushing a button haha.

    ReplyDelete